We are continuing with another vocabulary building exercise for the FCE exam. This week’s topic is clothes.
Would you be able to answer if the examiner asked you the following questions on the Speaking exam?
- Do you enjoy fashion?
- Do you believe fashion influences what you shop for?
- Is there a place for expensive designer clothes?
Vocabulary Building: Using Your Vocabulary
Do you feel confident enough to write an survey report on the second part of the FCE Writing paper? Remember, as most students go for the easy options (the letter or the email), it is easier to achieve a good mark if you try a more adventurous option.
However, if you are going to try this type of exercise, you need to make sure that you actually know how to do the exercise. You also need to make sure that you know enough good vocabulary and phrases.
As always, start by writing down your answers and then analyse them:
- Are the sentences grammatically correct?
- Is the vocabulary extensive enough?
- Can you improve your answers?
A number of students would write or say something like this:
- Yes, I love fashion.
- No, I don’t let fashion influence what I buy.
- Yes, I think that designer clothes are very nice.
By using a more sophisticated vocabulary, your phrases could look something like this:
- Yes, I have to admit that I’m a slave to the latest fashion on the high-street.
- No, I don’t pander to what the fashion gurus dictates.
- Yes, I definitely feel there is a place for designer clothes. However, they are unfortunately too expensive for my purse.
Here are a couple of interactive exercises which we hope you’ll enjoy.
Avoid missing any of our tips and advice by subscribing to our free email notification service and start on your road to success on the FCE exam.