Our FCE vocabulary building series is continuing and this week we are touching on sport and hobbies.
Would you be able to answer if the examiner asked you the following questions on the Speaking exam?
- What are the most popular sports in your country?
- What sports are interested in?
- Do you have any hobbies?
Suggested Use of Your FCE Vocabulary
Do you feel confident enough to write a good text for one of the tasks on the second part of the FCE Writing paper? Remember, as most students go for the easy options (the letter or email), it is easier to achieve a good mark if you try a more adventurous option.
However, if you are going to try this type of exercise, you need to make sure that you actually know how to do the exercise. You also need to make sure that you know enough good vocabulary and phrases.
As always, start by writing down your answers and then analyse them:
- Are the sentences grammatically correct?
- Is the vocabulary extensive enough?
- Can you improve your answers?
A number of students would write or say something like this:
- The most popular sport in my country is … .
- I’m interested in football.
- I like listening to music and going dancing.
By using a more sophisticated vocabulary, your phrases could look something like this:
- In my country, the most popular sport is probably … .
- I’m interested in a number of different sports. However, my main interest is probably football.
- I have quite a few hobbies. I spend a lot of time listening to music but I also love going dancing at the weekends.
FCE Vocabulary Exercise
Here is an interactive drag and drop exercise on sport and hobbies which we hope you’ll enjoy.
Avoid missing any of our tips and advice by subscribing to our free email notification service and start on your road to success on the FCE exam.