UPDATE: We have a new, updated article which includes more tips and advice as well as a FREE FCE Practice Test: FCE Practice Test: Try Out FCE Reading Paper 4
Part 4: The Last One! In the fourth and last part of the FCE Use of English paper you have use your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary to rewrite sentences.
Here are some tips on how you could approach this type of exercise:
1. There is no need to read through the whole text first.
2. Read carefully through the first sentence.
3. Think of a structure where you can use the key word without changing it.
4. Remember there will always be two things that you have to do in your answer,
for example, you may need to use:
a) since + change of tense
b) negative + comparison
c) paraphrase + ‘to’ and gerund
d) negative + phrasal verb
e) etc, etc.
5. Never write more than five words.
6. Remember that both sentences have to have the same or similar meaning.
7. Contractions count as two words except for ‘can’t’ which can be written as one
8. Read through both sentences to make sure that the words you write make sense
in the second sentence and that the meaning remains the same or similar.
9. Make sure that you double-check your spelling!
10. You should always try to answer and not leave any gaps empty.
Here are some more Top Tips:
Read the Instructions
Make sure you know what to do – always start by reading the instructions first!
Don’t Get Bogged Down
If you are struggling to find an answer, move on to the next question and go back to the question later.
Keep an Eye on the Clock
Don’t run out of time! If you have developed your final FCE exam strategy, you will know how much time you have allocated to this part of the test. Stick to your timetable. Remember, each part of the FCE Use of English Paper carry approximately the same amount of marks.
If you do one of the other three parts quicker, you can always go back and finish this part – it is all about maximising your chances to pass your FCE exam!
Want to try out these FCE Use of English strategies? Sign up for one of our FCE Practice Tests and get started!
If you are not happy with the scores you get on the FCE Practice Test, our Knowledge Checks will help you in focusing in on the vocabulary and grammar you will need to study.
Avoid missing any of our tips and advice on how to pass the FCE exam and subscribe to our free email notification service.