Part 2: The Tricky One! The second part of the FCE Use of English paper can be really difficult to complete as you can be tested on a number of different grammar and vocabulary points, for example:
- auxiliary verbs
- phrasal verbs
- prepositions and set phrases
- pronouns and relative pronouns
- etc., etc.
Here are some tips on how you could approach this type of exercise:
- Skim quickly through the text to get the gist of it.
- Read the text again but stop after the first gap.
- Think of what kind of word is required:
a) Is the missing word part of a set phrase?
b) Is the missing word part of a phrasal verb?
c) Is the missing word a conjunction?
d) Etc. etc.
- Check for clues earlier in the sentence.
- If you are still not sure, check for clues in the next sentence.
- Continue like this until you have completed all the questions.
- Read through the whole text to make sure that the word you write makes sense in the sentence.
- Make sure that you double-check your spelling!
- You should always try to answer and not leave any gaps empty.
Here are some more Top Tips:
Read the Instructions
Make sure you know what to do – always start by reading the instructions first!
Don’t Get Bogged Down
If you are struggling to find an answer, move on to the next question and go back to the question later.
Keep an Eye on the Clock
Don’t run out of time! If you have developed your final FCE exam strategy, you will know how much time you have allocated to this part of the test. Stick to your timetable. Remember, each part of the FCE Use of English Paper carry approximately the same amount of marks.
If you do one of the other three parts quicker, you can always go back and finish this part – it is all about maximising your chances to pass your FCE exam!
If you are not happy with the scores you get on the FCE Practice Test, our Knowledge Checks will help you in focusing in on the vocabulary and grammar you will need to study.
Avoid missing any of our tips and advice on how to pass the FCE exam and subscribe to our free email notification service.