UPDATE: We have a new and updated article which includes a FREE Practice Test: FCE Practice Test: Try Out FCE Reading Paper 2
Part 1 – Too Many Options! With so many options to choose from in this part of the FCE Use of English paper, you need to have our wits about you. As you can be tested on both your knowledge of grammar as well as vocabulary, you need to do this exercise with great care.
Here are some tips on how you could approach this type of exercise:
- Skim quickly through the text to get the gist of it.
- Read the text again but stop after the first question.
- Think of what kind of word is required.
- Look at the options – were you right?
- If not, eliminate answers that you are sure are wrong.
- Look at the words before and after the question and ask yourself:
a) Do I need to use a set phrase?
b) Is it a phrasal verb?
c) What is the meaning of the sentence?
d) Etc. etc.
- If you are still not sure, look at the next sentence, is there a clue there?
- Continue like this until you have completed all the questions.
- Read through the whole text to make sure that the word you choose makes sense in the sentence.
- You should always try to answer and not leave any questions unanswered.
Here are some more Top Tips:
Read the Instructions
Make sure you know what to do – always start by reading the instructions first!
Don’t Get Bogged Down
If you are struggling to find an answer, move on to the next question and go back to the question later.
Keep an Eye on the Clock
Don’t run out of time! If you have developed your final FCE exam strategy, you will know how much time you have allocated to this part of the test. Stick to your timetable. Remember, each part of the FCE Use of English Paper carry approximately the same amount of marks.
If you do one of the other three parts quicker, you can always go back and finish this part – it is all about maximising your chances to pass your FCE exam!
Want to try out these FCE Use of English strategies? Sign up for one of our FCE Practice Tests and get started!
If you are not happy with the scores you get on the FCE Practice Test, our Knowledge Checks will help you in focusing in on the vocabulary and grammar you will need to study.
Avoid missing any of our tips and advice on how to pass the FCE exam and subscribe to our free email notification service.