We are continuing our new series on reading tips and advice with the Cambridge FCE Reading Paper 1. In this article, you will find both tips and advice as well as a FREE FCE Practice Test you can practise on.
This part of the FCE Reading Paper used to count towards your FCE Use of English score. However, since January 2015, this part now counts towards the Reading score. In the FCE Reading Paper, Part 1, you can be tested on vocabulary, idioms, collocations, shades of meaning, phrasal verbs, fixed phrases, etc. so you will need to do this part with great care.
Plan for Tackling the FCE Reading Paper 1
Here are some tips on how you could approach the FCE Reading Paper 1:
- Skim quickly through the text to get the gist of it.
- Read the text again but stop after the first question.
- Think of what kind of word is required.
- Look at the options – were you right?
- If not, eliminate answers that you are sure are wrong.
- Look at the words before and after the question and ask yourself:
a) Do I need to use a set phrase?
b) Is it a phrasal verb?
c) What is the meaning of the sentence?
d) Etc. etc.
- If you are still not sure, look at the next sentence, is there a clue there?
- Continue like this until you have completed all the questions.
- Read through the whole text to make sure that the word you choose makes sense in the sentence.
- You should always try to answer and not leave any questions unanswered.
Top Tips for Tackling the FCE Reading Paper 1
Here are some more Top Tips for passing the FCE Reading Paper 1:
Read the Instructions
Make sure you know what to do – always start by reading the instructions first!
Don’t Get Bogged Down
If you are struggling to find an answer, move on to the next question and go back to the question later.
Keep an Eye on the Clock
Don’t run out of time! If you have developed your final FCE exam strategy, you will know how much time you have allocated to this part of the test. Stick to your timetable.
FREE Practice Test: FCE Reading Paper 1
Here is an interactive, self-correcting FREE FCE Practice Test. You can reset the test as many times as you like. If you have made a mistake, make sure to click on the little, blue question mark. This will give you more information about why your answer was wrong.
The actual FCE Reading Paper 1 only has eight multiple choice cloze questions. This test has twelve, giving you more opportunities to practise your exam techniques.
Good luck and enjoy!
[This FCE Practice Test is in a FLASH format.]
If you are not happy with the scores you get on the FCE Practice Test, our Knowledge Checks will help you in focusing in on the vocabulary and grammar you will need to study.
Avoid missing any of our tips and advice on how to pass the FCE exam and subscribe to our free email notification service.